Re: Discussion regarding Community Working Group and/or Ombudsman

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 1:11 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I think a body of Ombudsees, appointed by the FPL, confirmed by the
> Board, serving 1-2 year terms. The reasons being the following:
>
> 1) Multiple people are going to be needed because unless RH is paying
> for it, these people will be volunteering to deal with grumpy
> situations.
> 2) Elections do not make sense to me in this case. The person is a
> facilitator which is a set of skills not everyone has nor one that
> people are going to be able to see to elect if X is better than Y.

Here's a better question, do we really expect to be able to find
volunteers with the necessary skills? These people will be our very
own volunteer fire fighters in a sense. Doing a community service on a
volunteer basis fighting the fires the rest of set in our efforts to
tear down other people's bikesheds obstructing the view atop our own.

Real-world volunteer fire fighters get some amount of training and are
not expected to walk in the door with all the skills necessary to
fight fires.  I'm not saying these people will need financial
compensation. But I am saying that maybe some skills development is a
worthwhile investment, especially if we don't want to see a high rate
of turn-over or burn out. Though I would not know how to go about
making that skills development actually happen.

-jef