Re: Remaining issues for the multi desktop DVD

On Wed, 2011-01-12 at 02:34 +0100, Christoph Wickert wrote:

> > Mailing lists are terrible for this kind of thing.  Multiple people
> > chime in and discussion goes off in infinite directions and threads.  It
> > is nearly impossible to track all tangents properly without some backend
> > system to manage the feedback and keep the proposal current, like a wiki
> > page.
>
> Or an issue tracker. ;)

To Jesse: I think you're clearly off in keeping on presenting a Wiki
page as the right way to track specific issues. Clearly, most of the
Fedora project doesn't believe it is. Obviously the Board doesn't
believe it is, or it wouldn't have a trac (private or otherwise) - it'd
just use a Wiki instance (private or otherwise). Just about every other
group in Fedora uses trac to do this, not Wiki pages. trac is clearly
superior for the specific goal of tracking projects. The debate about
how locked down the Board's trac instance should be is one thing, but by
keeping on lobbing in 'use a Wiki page' into the discussion you're
really just confusing things. A wiki page is not a sensible solution to
issue tracking. A wiki page and a trac ticket can *complement* each
other - you can document the general proposal on a Wiki page, and use a
trac ticket to track discussion of the proposal - but a Wiki page can't
replace a trac ticket.

Basically, as long as there's no issue tracking system for Board issues
that non-Board members can access, there's a deficiency that Wiki pages
can't solve, and it *does* lead to all the issues Christoph identified
(confusion, the same discussions happening five times, non-Board members
having no way to know exactly where a given proposal stands and what's
needed to move it along, and so on).
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey