Re: Remaining issues for the multi desktop DVD (was: Re: Dear Fedora board, please open your trac)

Am Dienstag, den 11.01.2011, 17:12 -0700 schrieb Stephen John Smoogen:

> These are my questions at the moment:

Hi Stephen,

thank you very much for your questions. I wonder why you or the board
didn't come up with these question back in October. Well, some of the
questions were already raised, but I'm going to answer them once again.

> 1) How is it going to be built within RH releng environment.

With https://fedorahosted.org/multiboot-media-creator
Does that answer your question?

> 2) How is it going to be tested. I have yet to get dual layer DVDs to
> burn with my laptop. (though I have not tried a blueray yet).

The individual spins already have their test cases and were tested in
great depth. We are only using the already tested ISOs, so the only
remaining thing to test is if it actually boots and - perhaps - if it
installs. So far it this has been tested by at least 3 different people
and none of them found any problems. Please refer to ambassadors list
for details. You can test this any virtualization that can boot of an
ISO if you don't have a dual layer DVD recorder.

If your question is targeted at the physical media: We can never test
them. We can give an ISO to the media production company, they make 3000
disc of them and then it turns out they don't boot due to a production
failure. This is something we can never test in advance, can we?

> 3) Who is going to implement items into releng and testing

I think the testing part was already covered and for the rel-eng side,
I'd like to ask you to elaborate your question. What items do you have
in mind exactly? Somebody needs to needs to run 'multiboot-media-creator
foo bar baz' and then upload the result to alt.fedoraproject.org.

> 4) What logos are going to be used outside of the preinstalled images,
> where and how.

None, nowhere.

> 5) Can all of this be done in a non-antagonistic manner or is this
> going to be a grump-fest every step of the way?

Depends on if there is progress and how constructive the board is.
Asking questions is something I consider constructive, because it helps
to eliminate the false assumptions and misinformation that some
decisions were based on. Therefor I'd like to that you for your
questions once again.

I think I have been constructive most of the time, although my tone is
not necessarily very diplomatic. I know, but please understand my
frustration: The ambassadors want to have this for 3 months now and
there was hardly any progress. As a result the EMEA ambassadors have
*no* F14 media ATM and it is questionable if we will have them ready for
the events.

> Those are the items I can think of outside of the proposed spin guidelines.

I have no idea why you come up with the spin guidelines here. By
definition the media nether a spin nor a remix. It's just a collection
of spins, that were already approved, so they obviously must follow the
spins guidelines anyway.

Regards,
Christoph