Re: [Off-Topic] RHEL (was Re: fedora-it community site on Ubuntu server)

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 10:57 AM, Christoph Wickert
<christoph.wickert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Am Montag, den 10.01.2011, 17:51 +0100 schrieb Matthias Kranz:
>> On 01/10/2011 05:45 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>> > It works for me - *on servers and clients*.
>> >
>> > That said, to me the real issues with Fedora on servers is not the
>> > life-cycle. It's Fedora silently having been converted into a (mostly
>> > single-user) desktop OS, with many of its key components not being
>> > suitable for server usage.
>>
>> Which components or functionality do you exactly mean? I am really
>> wondering because Red Hat Enterprise Linux, the most successful
>> Enterprise Linux distribution for servers in the market for years, is
>> based on Fedora. So, apparently you expect something from Fedora which
>> almost no one else is expecting?!
>
> NetworkManager is a typical case of desktop usage. It doesn't so
> brigding, binding, trunking and all the things you need for a server.
> Even worse: Do a minimal install of RHEL6 and you are left without
> network after install because NetworkManager was not installed and the
> old networking stack is not enabled. Yay!

Only if you choose to not configure it during the install. While you
might blame Red Hat for not doing that for you by default in this case
it really isn't the fault of Fedora or NetworkManager I don't think. I
do accept the point that there is clearly a Fedora focus on non-server
functionality and configuration which is natural given the audience
Fedora has chosen as its target. And if you think the enterprise
server audience should be at least as important an audience for Fedora
to focus on I would agree with that too. Some structural
reorganization as has been proposed in the past by others might be
needed to actually serve both audiences well.

John