Re: potential action items from GNOME 3 & F15 drama

Max Spevack (mspevack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) said:
> == Giving things the most accurate names possible ==
>
> Revisit the (IMHO wrong) decision to not call the "Fedora Desktop" the
> "Fedora GNOME Desktop" and correct this naming for F15 and onward.  Do
> this in time for F15 Alpha.
>
> This is entirely separate from the decision of which spin is featured as
> the default Fedora download, and I'm *not* trying to re-start that
> conversation.

This has already been discussed/voted on in the Board a couple
of times. Are there any new arguments or data points here? (The board
is certainly free to discuss/vote again, of course.)

> == Wallpaper ==
>
> Decide a simple yes or no to the request to make F15's GNOME wallpaper
> the same as upstream.  If yes, make it clear that this is a ONE TIME
> exception to our normal processes.
>
> Similarly, decide that all the other F15 spins will feature a custom
> wallpaper as always, and that this will be the plan for *everything*
> down the road.

'custom wallpaper' should probably be explicitly defined, as it can be
read to mean different things (especially if there are desktops with
*no* default artwork.)

> == Marketing & PR opportunity ==
>
> GNOME 3 and F15 is an opportunity to create some mutual wins.

... snip ...

> NOTE THAT THE ABOVE DOES NOT PREVENT FEDORA FROM DOING VERY SIMILAR
> THINGS WHEN NEW VERSIONS OF OTHER DESKTOPS ARE RELEASED.  IT IS NOT A
> ZERO SUM GAME.

... well, resources *are* sort of zero sum. Especially given the
current state of spins (if someone shows up to maintain, help, etc. we ship
them, if they don't, we don't), I don't think it makes sense to commit to
this as something we'd do for arbitrary desktops. Now, if we change the
policies around spins, it may make more sense.

Bill