Re: [Ambassadors] Formal request for approval of the multi-desktop DVD (Re: Board meeting recap, 2010 10-18)

Am Donnerstag, den 21.10.2010, 11:15 -0700 schrieb Jesse Keating:

> On 10/21/10 6:12 AM, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> > As I already said to Jesse: It seems the board is setting way higher
> > standards for testing or QA and has way more concerns for artwork or
> > infrastructure than for any other spin that was ever approved. To me and
> > many other ambassadors this looks as if the board is trying to
> > anticipate our volunteer work.
>
> Completely incorrect.

I'm sorry, but this is the impression I and other ambassadors got. An
impression cannot be incorrect, it can be based on facts or not. And it
is a fact that the demands for the media for testing, infrastructure and
approval that were expressed during this discussion are higher than for
any other desktop spin before. Do we agree on that?

> A) Every other spin has to be proposed and approved prior to the Feature
> Freeze of a release.  We're well past that for this.

According to the definition this is not a spin. It's not "tailored for
various types of users", it doesn't have any "hand-picked application
sets" or any "other customizations". It doesn't meet the definition of a
feature ether. Thus the schedule does not apply.

> B) This is not a normal spin.

Right, it's not a normal spin.

It's just a different form of delivery. We already handed out USB keys
and there was no need get this approved or follow the spins/feature
process ether. This media is only subject to the ambassadors schedule
for media production and we were on time until we got delayed.

> Normal spins are generated by well
> understood tools already in the Fedora distribution with established
> usage knowledge, and are produced nightly for testing, and at each
> milestone.  This is not.

Only the collection is not, the individual spins it consists of are.

Regards,
Christoph