Re: proposal to make free the logo of Fedora

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 01:39:36PM -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Hi René,
>
> On Thu, 2010-09-23 at 15:39 +0200, René Mérou wrote:
> > Maybe the only result was to make bad feelings to the point to reject my last
> > notes about it or maybe its possible to still write some ideas with no bad
> > reaction.  (in fact I think is just because i used one other email.)
>
> While I'm not a moderator on this list, I know Jared and Paul are and I
> am confident they wouldn't have intentionally rejected your posting to
> the list. Rather, we usually auto-reject posts coming from email
> addresses that are not subscribed to our lists (this saves us from a lot
> of span) so maybe you weren't subscribed or maybe it was a manual error.

I don't recall rejecting this post either, so it's possible it was an
automatic action.  I usually explicitly allow posts through that are
legitimate attempts to converse with the people on the list, and
discard only the spam.  It's always easiest to collaborate on this
list if you subscribe, though.  (And in fact if you don't want mail
from the list, you can subscribe and then turn off the delivery of
mail so that your posts go through.)

> > So I think ill put it here and if it can make any good, well.  If not, i did
> > my best.
>
> I very much appreciate your courage in coming here and bringing this
> point out. The sad fact is the legal climate surrounding such things
> is not very supportive of a libre culture, and where other projects
> have tried to be more open & free, they have been hurt (as in the
> GNOME examples I provided you.)

In fact, we have a couple attorneys from Red Hat who will be attending
the FUDCon in Tempe, and I believe they'll be presenting similar cases
they've handled.  This is not an abstract problem, unfortunately, but
a concrete one.