Re: Appointment of Board Members.

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 11:45:09AM -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 12:21:45 -0400,
>   Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Ideas:
> > * Have the Feature Wrangler assemble a team
>
> If only assembling teams were that easy.
>
> > Which, perhaps, shows that elections are a bad idea for Fedora?  Or at least
> > parts of Fedora?  Perhaps the Board should be 100% elected (to represent the
> > contributors) but FESCo should be structured more like rel-eng, fes, and
> > infrastructure where people show up to do work.  Or perhaps *FESCo* should be
> > appointed for their technical expertise.
>
> FESCO is in the position of mediating disputes. I think having this handled
> by an elected body is better for getting buy in for this.

True... but if The Board can override anything that FESCo decides perhaps
the Board should be the mediator of disputes as well?  When I think about
the skills needed to be a good mediator versus keeping the project on track
to produce high quality releases every six months I think that the
skillset is very different.  Thinking about the skillset to be a good
representative versus a good mediator the skillset is much closer.

> > Do you see FESCo's primary role as being representatives of the contributors
> > whose core directive is to empower them to make Fedora?  Or do you see
> > FESCo's primary purpose as a body that keeps the distribution on-track,
> > figuring out new ways to produce a high quality distribution?
>
> I see them as needing technical expertise, willingness to do work, act as
> a knowledge sharing nexus, ability to do forward looking for techincal
> improvements in tools and workflow used by developers, QA, and Releng and
> to be able to moderate conflicts related to software packaging.

Alright -- so we should add another possible primary role of "Moderate
conflicts between contributors (restricted to software packaging)".
The other items seem to be what skills FESCo needs to perform all of the
roles that it does today.  I'm interested in what we see the primary role of
FESCo is under the asusmption that it might be hard to find people who have
the desirable characteristics to do all of the primary roles well.

-Toshio