Re: Appointment of Board Members.

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 12:24 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Currently the Fedora board is made of 9 members with 4 of them being
> appointed. What are the benefits of this arrangement, and is there a
> path where the Board could move to being completely elected?

Appointments allow for the selection of
individuals/leaders/experts/liasons in areas which are anticipated to
be emerging/critical/focal/overlooked in the upcoming year or to
otherwise balance out the composition of the Board to broaden the
board's onboard experience pool.

In my experience, the appointments are effectively done by Board
consensus based on FPL proposals. If of the _elected_ members of the
board gave push back about a specific appointment that was proposed by
the FPL, I would expect it to result in some review and most likely
another choice.

I think there is value continuing that practise, and perhaps
formalizing the role the sitting Board members play in accepting the
FPL proposals for appointments. But there is certainly room to reduce
the number of appointed seats down from four to three or two. I would
keep two appointed seats around.

But instead of moving some appointed seats to elected seats.. what if
you just chop off one or two seats completely and drop the Board down
to 7 official members plus the FPL. I'm really not sure our elections
process can really handle more elected seats. I'd much rather see an
elections process that can sustain up to at least twice the number
candidates than their are seats. Adding more seats does not mean we
get more high quality candidates standing up for election.

-jef