Re: Danish community site

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 11:39:44PM +0200, Gianluca Sforna wrote:
> I think Matt's question (if it wasn't, feel free to take it as mine)
> was more like: why are we excluding the possibility of offering few
> common hosted services for local communities so they all need to
> reinvent their own wheel?
>
> For example, I followed the discussion about forming the "official"
> fedora-it community and the requirements were: a mailing list, a wiki,
> some form of CMS and a forum. I guess most other local communities
> could use more or less the same tools.
>
> Fedora already run all of those services (save the forum, but the
> drupal plugin Mo found lately [1] looks like a commpelling replacement
> IMHO) and I don't think I need to list the benefits of offering a
> common set of tools, readily usable and secured by default.
>
> Of course I can't dismiss the additional load this would add on
> infrastructure and a lot of (possibly very important) details are
> missing, but again, I'd like to hear some convincing reason why we
> can't offer this kind of service.

To be honest, that wasn't exactly what I had in mind.  My question was
more along the lines of:

Given the services that Fedora Infrastructure already offers (wiki,
mailing lists, blogs & planet, ...), are there shortcomings in these
that prevent their use by localized or regional groups?  I don't mean
"missing" services, such as forums - I'm not looking to
greatly expand what FI provides unless it proves necessary, but to
make better or more extensive use of the services FI already provides.

If something can trivially be added, as an extension or plugin, to an
existing service, I'm open to that too.

Thanks,
Matt