Re: Danish community site

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 03:33:09PM -0500, Matt Domsch wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 01:31:45PM +0200, Kris Thomsen wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I want to request a dansk community site.
> > But I don't know if it should be called "da.fedoracommunity.org" or
> > "dk.fedoracommunity.org" (the first is language code, the second is
> > the country code).
>
> What is your anticipated site content and language?
>

> To the larger audience - what are we doing wrong that we're seeing
> several requests each week for a new regional/country/language site,
> independent of the fedoraproject.org site?  I was amazed at the list
> in Mo's mockup.  I don't feel that directing all our users to dozens
> of different sites is the right approach...  Translations and legally
> prohibited content aside, what else is driving this?

I'm thinking that in fact it's being driven by the *awareness* of the
fedoracommunity.org redesign that Mo is doing.  More visibility, and
people suddenly start popping up to say, "Hey, I'd like to get one of
those!"

What we have to be vigilant about is development of barriers between
the local community and the main Fedora Project.  Having local
communities has enabled Fedora to spread around the world.  But we do
want to maintain a unified project where everyone, whether they're in
Nicaragua, the Netherlands, or New York, communicates centrally at
some level.