Re: question for board members

On Thu, 06 May 2010 15:07:51 -0700, Jesse wrote:

> On Thu, 2010-05-06 at 16:18 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
>
> > We've seen the project continue to grow but scale poorly.  Our packagers
> > used to be able to do anything they wanted,

What does that refer to? The sheer size of the package repositories?

Fedora's Packaging Guidelines and Policies are so overwhelming, they
have always frightened off potential contributors. And still, Fedora
has opened the flood gates by focusing on "package review metrics" --
quantity instead of quality -- which made some reviewers approve niche
market packages, which in some cases are not even used by their packagers
on a daily basis. Later, Fedora has made it easier for packagers to ignore
bug reports by simply waiting for automated scripts to close them.

> now have to follow a process.

... which isn't well-defined yet and will have to prove that it will
be an improvement and will not be circumvented whenever some "leaders"
like to.

> > People don't like being told what to do, regardless of if its better for
> > the whole or not.  Our processes have gotten more complex and difficult to
> > follow, especially for causal packagers while some needed processes still
> > don't exist.
>
> To add to this, it seems to me that we as a project and as project
> leaders are too afraid of turning away those that joined under the
> 'anything goes' time, or rather the time without direction.

The issues you see, are they being discussed in some public place?

> When trying
> to decide on a direction and goal and vision, we seem just too unwilling
> to tell people that what you wanted out of the project just isn't what
> we want, and just isn't where we're going.  We're too afraid to turn
> people away.

Who exactly is "we" here?