Re: question for board members

On Thu, 6 May 2010, Bill Nottingham wrote:

> (This didn't quite make it into the IRC meeting today, so sending here...)
>
> I don't want to start a re-hash of the devel@ thread, but for those board
> members who chose not to stand for re-election... why?

I debated whether or not to ignore this but if people want to know, in the
interest of openness and transparency here goes.

I joined the board on the platform that I wanted to bring focus to the
project.  I felt and still feel that our lack of a unified vision has
caused anyone and everyone to join the project.  Now that they're here and
have conflicting views on what Fedora should be, we're seeing lots more
in-fighting because of it.

In pushing for this unified vision I think I've accomplished just the
opposite.  The more we as a project thought about the whole "what is
fedora" "Who is it for", the more divisive a subject it became.  Everyone
thought their version of Fedora was the right one.  We went in the
opposing direction of unity.

We've seen the project continue to grow but scale poorly.  Our packagers
used to be able to do anything they wanted, now have to follow a process.
People don't like being told what to do, regardless of if its better for
the whole or not.  Our processes have gotten more complex and difficult to
follow, especially for causal packagers while some needed processes still
don't exist.

During this time I also discovered that, in general, Fedora's install base
seems to be shrinking.  F12's numbers -
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Statistics show a 2% loss.  While that in
itself isn't great, considering the current market share growth of the
Linux universe that's a significant loss.  More and more polls have
confirmed my fears.  We're going to see even more loss when RHEL6 comes
out and I've struggled personally with what this means.

I've enjoyed working with the board members but it ate at my soul.  To the
point where I thought about leaving not just the board but the project as
a whole.  The board deals with highly complex and high level issues but
has no means to actually implement those changes.  Several people in the
project openly oppose any change at all.  I've had FESCo members tell me
that FESCo doesn't actually report to the board.  Ideas, talking,
meetings, we've tried to answer the who's and what's, but this is the same
Fedora I had a problem with a year ago.  No matter how many questions we
answer or ideas we come up with, it's going to stay that way because it's
the implementation and change part that's lacking.  Those facilities just
don't exist so we're stuck here.

Being on the board was a major distraction from my real job of being the
Infrastructure Team Lead.  It also put significant strain on several
relationships I have formed in Fedora over the last few years.  And for
what?  I really don't know that any actual good has come from it.
Fedora's Infrastructure is at a pretty critical juncture right now in
deciding its future.  The work and effort it would take for me to continue
to be on the board would be a distraction from my primary role and a
disservice to other team members.  So I'm not re-running.  Without
significant changes to The Fedora Project's governance (in policy,
organization, and structure) I can't imagine I'd run again.

I'm not the type to beat around the bush or hide opinions.  I hope my time
on the board is remembered for being direct and and open, not
disrespectful and reckless.

	-Mike