Re: Group application standardization

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 11:47:13AM -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Apr 2010, Paul W. Frields wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 08:00:32PM -0400, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> > > ... but in general signing up for a group in FAS is the last step of
> > > beconming part of a Fedora group.  Which is confusing since signing up for
> > > an account and signing the CLA are some of the first things that our
> > > announcements have people do.  We need to send people to start communicating
> > > with groups right after they sign the CLA (or as a TODO list item in FAS or
> > > something) rather than let them explore the FAS interface looking for
> > > a group to sign up for.
> > >
> > > Or we need to change what the groups do so that people really do find that
> > > signing up for a group gets them communicating to the groups that can use
> > > their help.
> >
> > These are both really good points.  I know there are myriad ways to
> > attack the problem.  Would it be a good starting point, while we
> > discuss something better, to have a notice after CLA signup directing
> > users to a page of "join a team" links?  (That page might exist on the
> > wiki for easier editing.)
> >

> Your choice of words there is good.  There's a big difference between the
> technical act of joining a group and the workflow act of joining a team.
>
> Generally though I'm hearing 2 things:
>
> 1) We don't really see a need to standardize on how to join a group.
>
> 2) We all agree that we need to spend more time on figuring out a proper
> workflow here.
>
> Keep the ideas coming.  I think at least allowing groups to be invite only
> (on a per group choice) will be a good step.

Ah, that's a fantastic idea.  I see a number of groups already say
"(invite only)" in their description, which tells me that's a
desirable feature.  If this was an option, we might want to consider,
when it's turned on, replacing the "Apply" button that's usually on
the group's page with a "Visit <URL> for more information" link.