Re: #fedora and freenode registration

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 9:49 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> I'm not sure how best to ping the board, so I thought I would just drop
> you an email to see if you could pass it on.

No problem, Kevin. One way to notify the whole Board about an issue is
to email the advisory-board@xxxxxxxxxx address. I'm cc'ing that list
here for info.

> A while back the Board required #fedora to not need people to be
> registered with freenode to join the channel and get support. Which was
> great for a long time.
>
> However, in recent weeks we have unregistered spam flooders joining the
> channel and spewing hatefull stuff and/or links that crash people's
> browsers, and other unpleasentness. Since they are using a bot/script,
> they can join faster than we can kill them.
>
> So, at least for now we have setup #fedora with mode +r, which requires
> people to be registered with freenode to join the channel. If they are
> NOT registered, it redirects them to #fedora-unregistered. There we
> have folks and topic and join message to explain to them how to
> register and what they need to do to get on the #fedora channel.
>
> I hope the Board will be ok with this setup.
>
> If the spammers go away we can nuke the +r and go back to the old way,
> but we really don't want the channel unusable due to spammers. ;(
>
> Anyhow, just a heads up. Drop by #fedora-ops for the latest.

Kevin, thanks for the email. I don't have any objections to this, and
I'm sorry that the lack of registration caused the ops and users any
problems. If any of the Board members have suggestions, they can add
them to this thread on advisory-board. I'll try to stop by this
weekend and see what happens as an unregistered user. Thanks to you
and all the ops for your help in watching over #fedora.

--
Paul