Re: "What is the Fedora Project?"

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009, Máirín Duffy wrote:

On 10/15/2009 04:45 PM, Seth Vidal wrote:
I think the problem is that we'll get yelled at on the other end:

"you're holding fedora back! What happened to latest and greatest?!"

Who would say that? We've not ever tried this, have we?

Look back in the archives preceeding the fedora core/extras merge. Look for the complaints on versions of stuff not being new enough.

They are there.

Stability is only one variable. This is why it's better to recommend a distro based on a full use-case rather than focus on one specific variable. Yes, RHEL is more stable. However, there's a dozen other variables in my use case that it does not match.

Fedora release today:

stability          [=====_______________] orange
latest technology  [====================] green

USER: I have no idea. Help?

CentOS (my perception):

stability          [=================___] green-yellow
latest technology  [=======_____________] yellow

USER: system administrator or home user wanting to offer network services or learn in order to be able to administer RHEL.

What I want:

stability          [==========__________] yellow
latest technology  [================____] green-yellow

USER: enthusiastic FOSS contributor looking to eat dogfood and expend some effort to help improve the dogfood flavor

Clearly this is an odd use of 'dogfood' I don't understand.

I don't care about a few loud angry people. There's going to be loud angry people no matter what we do. There's loud angry people right now. We need to pick a direction we believe in, and go with it.

You seem to want us to care about a few loud angry people. Specifically the loud, angry people who have talked to you about fedora.

I'm not sure I can believe in Fedora as a science lab. I'd like to talk to some people who believe in that. You said yourself and Mike aren't advocating for it. Who is? Are we just standing in a circle beating on a poor old scarecrow?

Show me how we slow down without overlapping the RHEL case up there? B/c I'm not real sure there's all that much room.

-sv