Re: Desktop Proposal

On 10/12/2009 07:03 PM, Mike McGrath wrote:
On Mon, 12 Oct 2009, inode0 wrote:
On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 5:28 PM, Mike McGrath<mmcgrath@xxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
So lets leave the other missions in place, as suggested in the paper, and
just add one?  Is there anyone else on the list that thinks trying to
build a usable, general purpose desktop is not worth being a mission of
the Fedora Project?

Here is what I believe is Red Hat's mission statement: "To be the
catalyst in communities of customers, contributors, and partners
creating better technology the open source way."

They don't think that an enterprise server operating system is worth mentioning?

Details like this are a trap and should be avoided.

The management at Red hat don't let the engineers do whatever they want
all willy nilly.  As such they don't have as many issues figuring out what
they showed up to do that day.  Trap or not, it's guidance.

Vision statement, mission statement, strategery, yadda yadda -

I think John's point is more, mission is *why* you want to do it. But a general purpose desktop is *what* you want to do. E.g., if our mission is to create free code and content, we would do it using the vehicle of creating a general purpose desktop. But our goal in life isn't to build desktops, it's to create free code and content. There's other *things* we could *do* to accomplish that mission, it's just the desktop is one of the vehicles in which we chose to do it.

Anyway, I'll get back to creating free code and content, whatever the hell
that is.

I think you've done a great job trying to document some of the ideas floating in this uber thread and coming up with a tangible proposal to move forward. I hope you continue in the discussion. :(

~m