Re: Fedora TV, the video quandary, and a request for advice (fwd)

On Wed, 2 Apr 2008, Jeff Spaleta wrote:

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 1:23 PM, Luis Villa <luis@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Note that last time I tried to install Miro on Fedora, it was broken;
all the default videos are in non-free codecs so Miro itself ran but
no video worked (and I seem to recall it failed badly.) Have not tried
it of late, though.

of course all the non-default videos are in non-free codecs... major
publishers aren't using free codecs. So its a classic chicken and egg
problem. We have to pretend we are an open technology version of Sony and
create demand for our open technology by getting out and front and producing
our own content or paying for the production of content that uses the
technology we are pushing. We've no hope of making things better unless the
people who care about openly encoded a/v get out ahead and start producing
content showcasing the tech.

/me wonders if we should be building something like Mininova for Ogm-only content...

http://www.mininova.org

--g

--
Greg DeKoenigsberg