Re: What makes a spin a Spin?

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008, Jeff Spaleta wrote:

If I'm reading jwb's proposal correctly, I'm perfectly fine with this sort of process. I don't want to overwhelm releng with a lot of spin proposals, and at the same time I don't want to block access to the trademarks unnecessarily for a baseline technical review that could be handled by a community group with less experience than embodied in releng. If we need to put another group together to do that first analysis, I think we can do it by getting all the people working spins now, to sit down and work out a mutual assistance plan as a necessary step before we bless anymore spins.

Bingo.  Big +1 to this paragraph.

Technical review and quality are important. But at the same time, we don't want to run into a problem that used to (maybe still does) plague Extras/PackageMaintainers with a huge number of items to review, and only a handful of already very busy people available to do the reviews.

This leads to legitimately good work just sitting around going stale.

I feel like this conversation is being framed as the people who are "pro quality" and the people who are "anti-quality". That's simply untrue.

What we are looking for is a reasonably lightweight, reasonably scalable process that can *promote and ensure* quality.

--Max