Re: dormant bugs and our perception

Jon Stanley said the following on 01/02/2008 01:54 PM Pacific Time:
If it would help I was thinking of trying to make my way to FUDcon
Raleigh to further this cause - I think it may be premature, though.
I live in NYC, so airfare is cheap still.

Yes! Please come to FUDCon. I am planning on being there and have been ruminating for a while on how to make this area work better. I am also working on a proposal[1] for a bugzilla process flow and policy to cover how the Fedora project triages and resolves open bugs for:
  1) unsupported releases--Fedora(Core) <= 6
  2) supported releases--Fedora 7 & 8
  3) releases under development--rawhide/Fedora 9

Unlike others that have posted here, I am less optimistic that we can viably review and address all 13,000+ open bugs. We need to do something drastic to clear the deck and start a process that insures that we don't end up in this hole again. I think this huge backlog is one of the biggest psychological de-motivators we have!

In other words, we need to create a solid plan with input from lots of people and then execute it. FUDCon would be a great place to get started.... not sure if this is a hackfest or barcamp topic.

John

[1] I'll post to the wiki and announce once I have something of substance. Most likely not until next week.