Re: dormant bugs and our perception

On Wed, 2 Jan 2008, Jeff Spaleta wrote:

On Jan 2, 2008 7:29 AM, Greg DeKoenigsberg <gdk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
And since Luis was adamant about going back to law school, instead of
taking the prestigious Fedora bugmastering job... :)

So... how..where.. do we advertise and recruit for a volunteer leadership position that we all agree we need (and one that none of the usual suspects wants to do?)

What completely unrealistic promises do I need to make to get someone
to do this position for 6 months?

Well, here's the truth, as I see it. This may or may not be an inducement, and may need to be wordsmithed, but I think it's correct:

Some positions at Red Hat don't materialize until the community proves their value -- and then the chief deliverer of said value says "I'll stop delivering all this value if you don't hire me." Bugmastery is probably the *perfect* example of this kind of position.

If I promised them a one of a kind t-shirt would that help?  Sort of
like the Tour  De France Gold Jersey?  We hand out a gold bugmaster
t-shirt every 6 months to someone brave enough to take the lead in
that area for that period of time?

See the world. A free trip to every FUDCon worldwide to speak and recruit.

Can we commit to giving the bug master significant billing in the
release notes for the release coming out at the end of his/her 6 month
tenure?

Sure.

--g

--