Re: Legal update

Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
Bill Nottingham wrote:
Rahul Sundaram (sundaram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) said:
Linking to "third party repositories": Legal says that we can link, from
the Fedora website, to third party repositories, so long as no one has
made a critical assessment to determine that a patent or patents cover
the technology in question and no party has actually asserted their
patents against the technology, we should be okay. Once we are on notice
of a claim of infringement or are aware of a competent assessment that
concludes infringement is likely, we would need to take the link down or
run a serious risk of facing a claim for inducing infringement.  Merely
linking would be highly unlikely to subject us to a claim of direct
infringement. I asked about MP3, and it was stated that unless we are
specifically aware of the MP3 patent holders asserting a claim against
the technology, we are still okay.
So the real question now that Red Hat Legal is ok with it is whether we in the Fedora Project should be doing it?

I think we should link to RPM Fusion (the free part) in the future if and when it's up and running from codeina
... in what way? The codeina codec list is included in the packaging.
In the initial dialog box perhaps? I don't know what would be the most appropriate thing to do.

You cannot link to livna/RPM Fusion from within a package, RH Legal was
very clear on that. You can link to the Fedoraproject.org page that
links to it, but not directly to it.

I had the impression that it was about linking to the repository package directly instead of just the website? If even linking to the website itself from a dialog box in codeina is not ok with Red Hat Legal, we could either update http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/CodecBuddy or in the second dialog where it lists the Fluendo codecs, we could introduce a new link that says "click here for free alternatives" or something similar. Is that ok?

Rahul