Re: The Multimedia Question

On 7/20/07, David Nielsen <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Are you basically suggesting Fedora start becoming the thought police
> > here. "I'm sorry sir we object morally to what _might_ be your intend as
> > it _might_ be in violation with the law".
> >

> Under some legal considerations, yes you are required to be the
> thought police. [Selling alcohol to someone who is obviously drunk and
> driving is illegal in many countries. Some have it that the penalty is
> the same as the drunk driving penalty: life to death. There are lots
> of other laws that come up with selling of narcotics etc. And the
> various anti-piracy groups have been pushing for similar rules
> depending on where you are in the world].
>
> The legal question that comes up is how one promotes a service
> promoting someone to break the law. The safest route I can see is
> giving the user the chance to use fluendo. If that is not possible
> then this is the perfect place for the 'Ubuntu-style' sub-fork of
> Fedora to occur. Someone starts a company that takes Fedora source,
> and makes it Fubluna which has codecs etc included in it.

I hate to point out that:

A) The ill intend is clear in case of selling alcohol to intoxicated
people, that is not the case for codec support - the majority of people
are law abiding within reason and merely want CNN.com to play video when
they click on it, want their iPod to be able to play back their
collection of CDs or heaven forbid want to watch a DVD. To play back

To be honest myself.. I was answering what I thought was your intent
of your first email's hyperbole with my own... I forgot that you have
a tendency to rise to the bait, chomp on, and try to pull the
fishermans boat under.