Re: LWN headline: Blame Fedora = High Praise

On May  1, 2007, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> i) I'm not.  The FSF did, and did it a while ago, before even thinking
>> about removing stuff from the kernel was thinkable.

> It wasn't unthinkable at any point of time. We can claim that Fedora
> thinks that a distribution without the firmware we include is
> unthinkable.

Different meaning of unthinkable here.  I meant unthinkable as in "way
too hard to do", not as in "doing it would lead to an unusable
result".

> There is no public statement on the FSF website on this and there is
> no differentiation between distributions which include firmware in the
> kernel and which include them. Why aren't you changing it to educate
> end users?

Well, let's see...  Because my hacking into the FSF web site wouldn't
be a nice thing to do?

Is it really so hard to understand that I'm affiliated with FSFLA, a
different, independent organization, and that we have no control
whatsoever over what the FSF publishes, be it on its own web site, be
it on the site of the GNU project?

>> Which is and has always been incompatible with the stated goals of the
>> Fedora project.

> Yes, it's called a exception for a reason.

Question, is it a goal of the Fedora project to build an OS entirely
out of Free Software, or is the goal to build an OS out of Free
Software except where that might cause some inconvenience to some
users?

In other words, are *we* going to actively pursue the goal of removing
the non-Free Software that's currently in the distro, or are *you*
going to keep on adding non-Free Software to it?

> Yes it was [too late]. It always will be until there is more
> resources to tackle this issue.

How honest is it to claim that this is the primary goal, then?

While at the same time actively taking steps away from that goal, no
less :-/