Re: What do we think of this?

Greg Dekoenigsberg wrote:

http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog/2007/03/where_fedora_went_wrong.html

Michael Schwendt has made a spirited and passionate response (thanks, Michael) to Caitlyn's comments.

Is there any substance to these comments?

Sure, there is.

* Out of sync mirrors - Should be solved by better mirror management systems being tested currently. Yum fails with a missing dependency error or keeps downloading packages which fail checksums due to the package being outdated and iterating through mirrors otherwise which doesn't give a good impression and often is blamed as a "yum issue".

* Updates with missing dependencies (this is rare but happens on occasions due to some issue with the current update system which fails to catch this), package evr issues and missing gpg signatures. Expected to be solved via the new update system which Luke Macken agreed to take on. Not sure of its current status but the plan was to have this in place before the Fedora 7 release.

* Mixing of incompatible third party repositories or conflict between Fedora repositories and a third party repository when a new package is introduced in the formal Fedora repositories - I suspect there are no easy answers to this. If we can coordinate better we should.

The core/extras merge and resulting common infrastructure would make the process much better. If other features are in place before Fedora 7 release we are good.

Rahul