Re: FESCo future

And honestly, I use the word "honestly" way too much.  Honestly.

--g

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006, Greg Dekoenigsberg wrote:

(Note: I will be calling this new project "F-star" until someone tells me to stop.)

My $0.02 on the structure of the F-star board:

No mandate of RH/non-RH seats.  At all.  Pure meritocracy.

It's time to put this model to the test. If the packaging community has any sense, and I believe they do, then they will elect a healthy number of Redhatters to F-star -- because if they don't, it will be *much* more difficult to accomplish *anything*. It's in everyone's best interest to put Redhatters on the F-star board. I believe that the community understands that.

At the same time, if a particular Redhatter becomes a belligerent jackass, then the community is fully empowered to boot that Redhatter right the hell out of the project. I don't expect this ever to be the case, honestly, because I think our community is comprised of grown-ups. But the safeguard is important.

Honestly, we've already got strong controls at the Fedora Project Board level. If things go terribly wrong with F-Star, the process for correction is simple: the Grand Poobah puts a bullet in the whole damned thing. The cost of such a failure would be enormous for everyone involved, though, and for that reason I suspect that it will never happen.

What are we afraid of?

--g