slashdot question -- driver support

another fun one for any of your thoughts. My guess is that most of the answer to this question is a philosophic one about proprietary vendors versus open source drivers, but I wanted to throw it out there.

2) Drivers Vs Linux
(Score:5, Interesting)
by eldavojohn

A lot of people I talk to say they don't like Linux due to lack of driver support. Is there anyway you see this problem being eliminated? How do you court vendors to support their hardware on your flavor of Linux?