Re: Fedora wallpapers and legal reuse of mark

Alex Maier wrote:
On Mon, 2006-07-10 at 08:27 +0530, Rahul wrote:
That was what I was referring to earlier as brand dilution.

Allow me to respectfully disagree. Brand dilution will not happen from
giving the community a logo they can legally play and get creative with.
It will rather happen if we do not, and the community has either one of
two choices:

        1. Use our one and only logo illegally, i.e. without our
        permission, and in contexts where we would rather not have it
        used;
2. Come up with their own version, which we all know can involve
        puppies wearing blue hats.

If we provide a sane framework for Fedora logo use, we will only
strengthen our brand.

Except that noone would bother applying for permission to use the official logo and would just use the "open" logo for all purposes. What is the use of having a official logo nobody is going to associate with Fedora easily?

Or have you had any difficulty recognizing the Debian logo and what it
stands for?

The official Debian logo would be totally unrecognizable without the tagging in the open use logo as part of it. Seriously, how many people have ever seen it being used with Debian?

Rahul