Re: [fab] discussion topics for red hat ceo

Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
- Force the invalidation of the mp3 patents via estoppel
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estoppel) We know that lots of other
distributions are including mp3 support (and have been for years, with
no legal reprocussions), we're the odd duck out. Thomson has to enforce
that patent for everyone, not just for Red Hat, for it to stay valid. I
say we re-enable mp3 support in Fedora Core 6, and call out Thomson on
their poor patent enforcement.

Thomson allegedly had a patent on MP3 for a few years prior to when they began collecting royalties. Apparently failure to enforce their patent earlier didn't prevent them from asserting it later, after the industry using it grew.

Warren Togami
wtogami@xxxxxxxxxx