Re: Features request

On 06/17/2009 10:41 AM, Emre Erenoglu wrote:
On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 8:28 AM, Michal Novotny <minovotn@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Well, in my opinion you have to consider that virt-manager supports both KVM and Xen so you can't simply give KVM only stuff there. It's like the ac97 card request - Xen doesn't support this card so virt-manager doesn't have a choice to select it at all. In fact, there should be one way for already existing and maybe even domain creation - the information about connection type is stored when we have domain already setup but also, in creating new domain we know (due to virt-manager.log) what hv type will be used - whether kvm or xen so theoretically this should work to compensate the differences between KVM/Xen but I don't know whether it's a right way.

Then why don't we just make an "advanced" field where a user can enter his own parameters to the qemu-kvm binary?
Sounds good, if a user knows the virtualization tool well, he could pass any parameter supported by HV itself so this idea is not bad I think. But like you said, it's the "advanced" feature so that somewhere in virt-manager user should choose or check the advanced interface mode or something similar. I don't think some people don't knowing the HV would like to investigate this so that this should be a new entry in the menu that have to be enabled first. Some item like "Advanced mode" in "View" menu or so...

To your requested features:
1. Bridged networking - yeah, this could be good to be added there not to have to setup the bridge manually

+1 for this one, but with a normal user account in kvm group (not root). Adding to this:

2. Snapshots - like I said, you're referring to KVM so see above, Xen can save the machine to a checkpoint file while not running (ie. this shuts the domain down) or even when running (not shutting the domain down) and I think nothing else is there about that. I don't know about KVM options.
3. Additional networking options - what options do you mean? What would you like to have there?

I would like to open an already created TAP interface. I have a script running at boot time which creates the bridge and as many TAP interfaces as you want, owned by group kvm. Any user who is a member of kvm group can use these tap interfaces to have bridged networking in their virtual machines, without needing privilate escalation or running as root. Therefore:

3.1. Ability to choose a pre-defined TAP interface. (ie, if the OS provides pre-cooked tapX devices read/write by kvm group that one can assign to his VMs). A config, such as:

Example Config Proposal:
      <interface type='bridge'>
        <source bridge='br0'/>
        <target dev='your_precreated_tap_interface'/>

        <create dev='no'>
        <mac address="11:22:33:44:55:66"/>
      </interface>

This is more or less the same thing as bridged networking of libvirt/virt-manager, just skipping the tap device creation part and using an existing tap instead.
Well, ability to use pre-defined TAP interface could be good, that's right.

4. Bridge wireless NIC cards - would this be useful?

It would be, but I think there are technical limitations for bridging a wireless and a wireline card.
I have never tried bridging the wireless cards so I don't know about that. This was just a thought...

Best Regards,
--
Emre
Best regards,