Re: virt-manager wizard suggestions

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 09:14:09AM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 04:11:10PM -0700, Dale Bewley wrote:

> > > Our goal is that the user should never have to pick the OS type/variant
> > > except for when doing PXE boot. I think its reasonable to make ti
> > > default to the current host Fedora version in this case. In non-PXe
> > > cases, it should be auto-detecting the correct type/variant from the
> > > install URL you give it.
> >
> > The OS type/variant dialog is presented at the same time the user picks
> > between cdrom/network install/pxe boot. The install URL is entered on
> > the following dialog screen.
>
> Checkout the latest virt-manager UI...
>
> In Fedora 11, the type/variant choice is on the same wizard page as
> the place where you enter the URL, and is auto-filled based on the
> URL

> > > It'd be nice to be able to pre-populate a list of URLs for all common
> > > distros, so you could simply pick one off the list. Any idea if
> > > mirror manager provides a URL we can fetch to obtain a complete list
> > > of all supported Fedora OS versions, so we can avoid hardcoding this.
> >
> > Yes, mirror manager
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/MirrorManager
> > can do that.
> >
> > Accessing
> > http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=fedora-10&arch=x86_64
> > will give you a list of mirrors for f10 x86_64. In fact it will use
> > GeoIP to find a list of mirrors "close" to you by default.
> >
> > If you add &redirect=1 it will bounce you to the first mirror on the
> > list.
> >
> > Passing an invalid repo and/or arch will return a list of all repos and
> > arches. i.e.
> > http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=foo&arch=foo
> > There must be a more formal way to do that though. Is there a parameter
> > for that, Matt?
>
> The thing I'm particuarly interested in, is getting a list of all the
> valudate 'repo' and 'arch' parameters. THought we could hardcode these,
> its nicer if there's a way for mirror-manager to tell us what is
> currently officially supported, so we don't need to track EOL dates.

Adding Will Woods who handles the preupgrade package.

http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/releases.txt

is the way preupgrade handles it.  That URL is a file that looks like:

[Rawhide]
# Rawhide is *always* the newest
stable=False
preupgrade-ok=True
version=999
mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=rawhide&arch=$basearch
#baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/development/$basearch/os

[Fedora 10 (Cambridge)]
stable=True
preupgrade-ok=True
version=10
mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=fedora-10&arch=$basearch
installmirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?path=pub/fedora/linux/releases/10/Fedora/$basearch/os

[Fedora 7 (Moonshine)]
stable=True
version=7
eol-date=20080613
mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=fedora-7&arch=$basearch
installmirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?path=pub/fedora/linux/releases/7/Fedora/$basearch/os

But note, this only includes the mirrorlist to the main repository,
not to updates, updates-testing, etc. for each version.  That may be
something Will could add to this format, which would then suffice for
you.  There is an eol-date field in this format (as I show in the F7
block).

I don't think you really want _all_ the repo/arch combinations to
display - as noted above it is a pretty long list, and there isn't an
obvious correlation between each combination and the OS version it
might make sense for.  MM has a hairy bit of code [1] that hardcodes the
repository name pattern based on the product and as the repository
names have changed over time.  I can understand you not wanting to
duplicate that.

[1] http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/mirrormanager/?p=mirrormanager;a=blob;f=server/mirrormanager/repomap.py;hb=HEAD

--
Matt Domsch