Re: virt-manager wizard suggestions

On Thu, Apr 09, 2009 at 09:37:33PM -0700, Dale Bewley wrote:
> The virt-manager new VM wizard defaults to Generic for OS Type and
> Variant. It defaults to 'Debian Lenny' after you select Linux.
>
> It would be nice if it defaulted to 'Linux' and 'Fedora $host_version'.
> At least on the Fedora release of virt-manager.

Our goal is that the user should never have to pick the OS type/variant
except for when doing PXE boot. I think its reasonable to make ti
default to the current host Fedora version in this case. In non-PXe
cases, it should be auto-detecting the correct type/variant from the
install URL you give it.

> The installation media URL example is generic, it would also be nice if
> it defaulted to the mirror manager download link for the version
> selected above.

It'd be nice to be able to pre-populate a list of URLs for all common
distros, so you could simply pick one off the list. Any idea if
mirror manager provides a URL we can fetch to obtain a complete list
of all supported Fedora OS versions, so we can avoid hardcoding this.

> Also, libvirt ships with a 'default' network but not a default storage
> pool. Should there be a 'default' storage pool
> for /var/lib/libvirt/images out of the box?

Yes, IMHO, if virt-manager connects to a libvirt host and finds that
no storage pools are configured, then it should create one based on
/var/lib/libvirt/images.

Daniel