From: Dale Bewley [mailto:dlbewley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Fri 4/10/2009 6:11 PM
To: Fedora/Linux Management Tools
Cc: Domsch, Matt
Subject: Re:  virt-manager wizard suggestions

On Fri, 2009-04-10 at 11:36 +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 09, 2009 at 09:37:33PM -0700, Dale Bewley wrote:
> > The virt-manager new VM wizard defaults to Generic for OS Type and
> > Variant. It defaults to 'Debian Lenny' after you select Linux.
> >
> > It would be nice if it defaulted to 'Linux' and 'Fedora $host_version'.
> > At least on the Fedora release of virt-manager.
>
> Our goal is that the user should never have to pick the OS type/variant
> except for when doing PXE boot. I think its reasonable to make ti
> default to the current host Fedora version in this case. In non-PXe
> cases, it should be auto-detecting the correct type/variant from the
> install URL you give it.

The OS type/variant dialog is presented at the same time the user picks
between cdrom/network install/pxe boot. The install URL is entered on
the following dialog screen.

> > The installation media URL example is generic, it would also be nice if
> > it defaulted to the mirror manager download link for the version
> > selected above.
>
> It'd be nice to be able to pre-populate a list of URLs for all common
> distros, so you could simply pick one off the list. Any idea if
> mirror manager provides a URL we can fetch to obtain a complete list
> of all supported Fedora OS versions, so we can avoid hardcoding this.

Yes, mirror manager
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/MirrorManager
can do that.

Accessing
http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=fedora-10&arch=x86_64
will give you a list of mirrors for f10 x86_64. In fact it will use
GeoIP to find a list of mirrors "close" to you by default.

If you add &redirect=1 it will bounce you to the first mirror on the
list.

Passing an invalid repo and/or arch will return a list of all repos and
arches. i.e.
http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=foo&arch=foo
There must be a more formal way to do that though. Is there a parameter
for that, Matt?

> > Also, libvirt ships with a 'default' network but not a default storage
> > pool. Should there be a 'default' storage pool
> > for /var/lib/libvirt/images out of the box?
>
> Yes, IMHO, if virt-manager connects to a libvirt host and finds that
> no storage pools are configured, then it should create one based on
> /var/lib/libvirt/images.

Is the default network shipped with libvirt or virt-manager? I thought
the former.

--
Dale Bewley - Unix Administrator - Shields Library - UC Davis
GPG: 0xB098A0F3 0D5A 9AEB 43F4 F84C 7EFD  1753 064D 2583 B098 A0F3