Re: virtinst ... proper API way to add a floppy drive?

Cole Robinson wrote:
Michael DeHaan wrote:
Cole Robinson wrote:
Michael DeHaan wrote:
Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
On Wed, Apr 01, 2009 at 12:14:49PM -0400, Michael DeHaan wrote:
This is the core issue - you're giving the floppy a harddisk name
Yeah, I caught that :)

guest.disks.append(virtinst.VirtualDisk(device=virtinst.VirtualDisk.DEVICE_FLOPPY, path=floppy_path))
I think you'll need to at least give a device name.

libvirt fills in the bus, based on device name if you leave it out
The constructor signature for VirtualDisk is...

__init__(self, path=None, size=None, transient=False, type=None, device='dis
k', driverName=None, driverType=None, readOnly=False, sparse=True, conn=None, vo
lObject=None, volInstall=None, volName=None, bus=None)

Which field would I use for specifying the device name?
Just set

   device=VirtualDisk.DEVICE_FLOPPY

and  virtinst generated the device name

Daniel
Scroll up a bit for my Python line I'm using, I did that :)

Seems like a bug in virtinst then. I'll write it up.

--Michael

Actually this may be fixed upstream:

http://hg.et.redhat.com/cgi-bin/hg-virt.cgi/applications/virtinst--devel/rev/fd4baa6410d8

Can you try an upstream checkout?

Thanks,
Cole

Great!

Absolutely.

Do you know when that is on schedule to be backported to F10 and/or EL 5? (Yes, I know F11 is out soon enough, but mainly I'm
interested in EL).

I still haven't pushed the latest virtinst release to F10, but when I do
it will have this fix. For RHEL, as long as a bug is filed I'll pull it in.

Thanks,
Cole

Floppy drive addition works.

So, one remaining Virt Manager problem exists (also in virt-inst, as I use it, but easily reproducible in virt-manager in rawhide, even with upgraded virtinst libraries)

I still get the problem where almost immediately (right after "Windows is loading files") into install I get

"Windows Boot Manager"

Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a devic econnected to your computer ... this erro can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device ...

Info: An unexpected I/O error occurred.

This happens when I use an ISO location like /opt/images/win2008.iso, but not when I use the an ISO inserted as a CDROM.

I selected Windows 2008 in Virt Manager prior to starting the install, all other parameters were the same.

So basically it seems to not like reading ISOs off of the file system?

--Michael