Re: Looping through possibilities in a "snippet"

On Apr 7, 2008, at 9:13 AM, Michael DeHaan wrote:

We could have cobbler automatically include content from /var/lib/ cobbler/packages_list/profiles/$name and /var/lib/cobbler/ packages_list/systems/$name every time we sync if we wanted to. We do have the question then of what gets appended to a list or what gets used /instead/, and which use case is more important. I can kind of see cases for both.

Agreed. Also keep in mind that I used "packages" as an example; I'm hoping to use the same method with the disk partitioning section of the ks, as well as the post section (and, I guess, for the pre section as well; always forget about that one. :-)

Ideally one wouldn't be assigning specific packages to specific systems, as the point of a profile is to make a configuration available to all things that look "like" something. Can you explain your use case for assigning specific packages to specific systems?

Good question. I agree that it would be rare to have something assigned on a "system" basis, as opposed to a profile. That said, I've taken responsibility for setting up the Cobbler environment for my team of sysadmins, and I guess I'm just anticipating the probability that one of them would say, "what if I want X, Y, and Z only for one system, and I don't want to make a separate profile." Fairly contrived example, I think, but I won't be surprised to have it posed to me. :-)

Thoughts on how that should work?

Well, in my "perfect" world, I kind of like the pseudo-code from my original email, but I understand the desire to keep more complex code out of what should be a template. I guess, if you start with the idea that a proper kickstart file has four "official" sections[1] (command, %packages, %pre, %post), it would make sense to maybe have each of those items defined as standard cobbler profile metadata; doing so would completely modularize kickstart generation.

I'm sure there are holes in that logic (one is, I actually consider the "disk partitioning" a separate section, but it "officially" is just a part of the "command" section. Doubtless there are other holes that I'm not seeing right now.

I do like this idea a lot...

Thanks!  I like cobbler a lot!

	-s-

[1] <http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/sysadmin-guide/s1-kickstart2-file.html >