Re: [et-mgmt-tools] Thoughts on repo mirroring...

Demetri Mouratis wrote:
On 12/13/06, Michael DeHaan <mdehaan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Michael DeHaan wrote:

First off, if this sounds like greek, let me know, and I'll try to
explain something differently.   I'm as guilty as speaking tech lingo as
anyone.

This is probably starting to sound like "cobbler-dev" lately and not a
user list, though repo mirroring is starting to evolve some and some
folks may have thoughts on it -- so I wanted to bring these items up
rather than just secretly implement them and have to explain them later.

Imagine you can do this:
<snip>

Michael,

For the first time, I'm starting to feel like the target of the saying
"Go away, or I will replace you with a very small shell script."

Or a really big python script?   :)

As I've said, I work with repository mirroring quite a bit so this new
direction and the completeness with which you have addressed the
requirements is appreciated.
Thanks!
Some notes.  Not sure whether you have thought about this, but the
rsync out of cron has the potential to blow up if not locked
correctly.

I could probably leverage your experience in that direction -- if you'd like to contribute to the codebase, your input would be very welcome. By "blow up", perhaps you mean simultaneous rsync's to the same locations? Yeah, that _does_ need to be locked. Cobbler has some built-in locking that I haven't turned on in production, that I probably should turn on. Duplicate cobbler sync's at the same time aren't nice either.

I'm not too sure of the pungi direction.  It seems to me comps.xml is
not meant to be mucked with.  I've gone down that road before and came
away quite scathed.
I've heard that before, oddly enough -- though I'm not very familiar with it yet. If it seems bizarre, I'll stop.

Thanks.

-D