Re: EPEL conflicts with Satellite 6 packages

On Tue, Apr 19, 2022 at 6:29 AM Troy Dawson <tdawson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, Apr 18, 2022 at 3:49 PM Amos <a.goo0h@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Apr 18, 2022 at 4:57 PM Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Yeah, I'll echo smooge here. Can you expand on exactly what you are
hitting?

I can't seem to find the orig thread from 2016 in my mailbox, so I'm
really not sure what the issue is here. ;(

kevin

Going back to the original thread:

We don't (at least as far as I'm aware) have any broken systems, but this is what can result:

System without EPEL:

qpid-proton-c.x86_64        0.28.0-3.el8        @satellite-tools-6.8-for-rhel-8-x86_64-rpms

System that has EPEL and is registered with our Satellite server:

qpid-proton-c.x86_64        0.37.0-1.el8       @epel

Right now this system with EPEL hasn't encountered issues, but every time we have experienced this in the past, the system becomes unpatchable.  Since the original post is from 2016, I was just wondering if this issue had evolved at all.

Thanks,

Amos

I think this is a good question to bring to the people who maintain the Satellite repo.
The vast majority of the EPEL community have no access to the Satellite repo and do not even know what packages are in it.
It looks like it's been six years, and they (The Satellite repo maintainers) haven't reached out to work with us, as far as I know.
If this is a problem, please reach out to them and let them know.

Troy

I talked with the Satellite people.  It seems nobody has brought this up to them for many years.  So we had a look.

The first thing they stressed was that if you are running the Satellite Server, that you make it like an appliance.  Give it its own hardware / virtual-machine so that it is the only thing running on it.  And if that is the case, you shouldn't have/need EPEL installed on that Satellite Server appliance.

But what about the Satellite Client and Satellite Tools.  We had a look.

RHEL 7
There are still many conflicts between the satellite tools repo and epel7.
These packages are needed because this needs to run on a machine that doesn't have epel, and those packages are missing in RHEL7.
This isn't going to change.
At this point, if users are using Satellite on RHEL7 or equivalent, they already have something setup and working.  Changing things now would do more harm than good.

RHEL 8 and 9
For both Satellite Client and Satellite Tools on both RHEL 8 and 9 there is only one conflict - qpid-proton as was said earlier.
Also, as was said earlier, the newer version that is currently in epel is safe to run.  As long as the EPEL maintainer doesn't change the ABI, things are good.

So, in summary.
Yes, things are in better shape for Satellite and EPEL.  At least for RHEL 8 and 9.

Troy