Re: Handling packages with missing dependencies provided by HA-RS repos?

On Wed, Mar 23, 2022 at 09:18:08PM -0500, Carl George wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 23, 2022 at 2:54 PM Carl George <carl@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Typically EPEL inherits policy from Fedora, diverging when necessary.
> > Here is the corresponding section of Fedora policy.
> >
> > "All package dependencies (build-time or runtime, regular, weak or
> > otherwise) MUST ALWAYS be satisfiable within the official Fedora
> > repositories."
> >
> > https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/#_package_dependencies
> >
> > We don't consider HA or RS part of the base RHEL distribution
> > (referred to in policy as the "Target Base").  However, I don't think

Well, for 8 and 9... for 7 we do. ;)

> > we should strictly forbid any dependency on HA or RS packages, because
> > that would require unnecessary duplication of HA/RS packages in EPEL
> > (which is allowed, but shouldn't be required IMO).  I suggest a
> > compromise that we can make the policy:
> >
> > "All EPEL package dependencies (build-time or runtime) MUST ALWAYS be
> > satisfiable within the Target Base or EPEL itself.  Weak package
> > dependencies are allowed on packages from additional RHEL channels
> > that are not part of the Target Base, such as the HighAvailability
> > channel."
> >
> > --
> > Carl George
>
> We discussed this a bit further at today's EPEL Steering Committee.
> One alternative that was suggested was to just add the HA and RS repos
> to the target base list.  The initial impact of that would be that
> several packages already in EPEL8 would become policy violations and
> would have to be retired.

Yeah, I guess thats pretty anoying in 8 since we didn't start with them.
;(

So, if we did allow weak deps to packages in other non our Base repos,
wouldn't that not actually work for the case that started this thread?

ie, say I have a foo-plugin package and foo is in a different non epel
base rhel channel and I add a Reccomends for it in epel. People who have
the channel enabled would be fine but if someone else installed
foo-plugin it would just... not work.

Also could we tell if deps changed? Say I have foo-plugin in epel
Reccommending foo, and RHEL drops foo. None of our 'will it install' or
broken deps type checks will know that it is now not working. ;(

If we don't add HA and RS to the base epel repos, I guess we could just
allow people to build those things they need in epel, but then of course
they get to maintain them. ;(

Perhaps instead of a strict rule we could just ask everything that has
this issue to get an exception?

Not an easy case.

kevin