Re: The incredibly shrinking RHEL

On 1/14/22 05:02, Josh Boyer wrote:
On Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 5:31 AM Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 14. 01. 22 5:11, Orion Poplawski wrote:
While working on EPEL9, it seems that even more packages are missing from RHEL9
than were in RHEL8.  The latest I found was cppunit, which appears to be
completely missing from the CS9 repos despite having been built (See
https://kojihub.stream.centos.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=2414) and
presumably in the CS9/RHEL9 buildroot.

So I scraped some screens from pkgs.org:

Stream 9:

CentOS AppStream Official   x86_64 8882
CentOS BaseOS Official      x86_64 2357
CentOS CRB Official         x86_64 1856

Stream 8:

CentOS AppStream Official   x86_64 15008
CentOS BaseOS Official      x86_64 6721
CentOS PowerTools Official  x86_64 3771

That's a pretty big difference.  Now, I don't know how many were dropped
completely and how many are of the "buildroot only" variety.  But I suspect
there is a fair amount of the latter and so a lot of make-work ahead of us for
EPEL9.

A fairly accurate list of packages removed in RHEL 9 can be found in
our RHEL 9 Adoption documentation:

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/9-beta/html-single/considerations_in_adopting_rhel_9/index#removed-packages_assembly_changes-to-packages

Thanks for that.

Packaging for EPEL9 is starting to feel more and more like cleaning the Augean
stables with RedHat piling up more manure.

If there is any Python stuff that's in Buildroot only, let me know and I'll do
my best to persuade the maintainers to move it to CRB (but my powers are limited).

I will politely point out two things.

1) The entirety of the RHEL buildroot is available in the CentOS
Stream koji buildroots.  I know the EPEL stewards have qualms about
using it, but they are there and the technical hurdles to consume them
are not large.

Well, we are making use of it via epel-next. But it's the "Stream" buildroot. Once that diverges from the current released RHEL there could be issues with trying to do updated builds for the current release of RHEL.

2) Moving content to CRB in RHEL is not a silver bullet solution in
many scenarios.  If it's strictly for build dependencies, CRB works
well.  If an EPEL package has a runtime requires on CRB content, that
is less desirable.  RHEL CodeReady Linux Builder (CRB) content is
unsupported, not enabled by default, and not intended to be used at
runtime in production.  EPEL itself is clearly in the same unsupported
category, but requiring another unsupported repo at runtime may lead
to unintentional surprises for many users.

josh

I don't buy any of these arguments, and it doesn't really address the situation of "missing -devel" packages. E.g. utf8proc - it's in "AppStream" - so it's presumably "supported" and "intended to be used at runtime in production". But without the -devel package available we can't build anything in EPEL that uses it. So we have to go through contortions to make sure we build the proper version of utf8proc-devel and keep it in sync with RHEL.

Is the trade off of perhaps a few less RHEL support requests about a few packages that are clearly important enough to be included directly in RHEL really worth the ill-will being generated in the volunteers that help support the ecosystem around RHEL?

Perhaps it's unreasonable for me to be as upset about this as I am, but largely it's because I just can't understand the motivation behind it and it's a deliberate action that directly makes my *volunteer* work harder. I have put in thousands of hours of work on Fedora/EPEL over 16+ years - and generally it has just gotten better. Better tools, better infrastructure, etc. This is the first time I can remember having something change that makes the work harder - so maybe it's just the shock of that. Feels like a betrayal of those 16 years of working together towards what seemed like a common goal.

Oh, and for cppunit just putting it in CRB should be just fine as it generally does not produce runtime deps.

--
Orion Poplawski
he/him/his - surely the least important thing about me