Re: Continuing playground discussion

On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 2:08 PM Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I think playground might be fixable/made of use without too much work...
> * adjust fedpkg to stop requesting playground branches always/only
> request them on explicit ask
> * change the inheritence in koji so it inherits from epel8
> * untag all the things that are "older" in playground
> * add more docs about what it is and how it works
> * perhaps make it send a daily report for each compose

When you start listing the actual steps, I think you are correct.
Changing playground to do what we want, is only a little bit more work
than it would to drop it.

If you don't mind, I'd like to go through those steps in a little more
detail, and in order that they need to be done.

Step 1 - Approve plan via Steering Committee.
Step 1a - Documents and communication
-- No releng needed.
-- Should be done along the whole way
Step 2 - Update fedpkg and remove all package.cfg from epel8.
-- Can be done by a proven packagers, no releng needed.
Step 3 - Change the inheritance in koji so it inherits from epel8
-- releng work
--- I don't know how easy / hard this will be for releng
Step 4 - Untag all the things that are "older" in playground
-- currently that is a releng process.  There is no way for a
maintainer to retire their package from playground.
-- This needs to happen some time (3 months?) after step 2 is
finished.  A time that we can see that people have manually built
their package in playground, versus the automatic builds.  So that the
"older" packages are obvious.
-- If we do this as a huge batch, it should be a fairly simple (though
long) step for releng.
Step 5 - Send a daily report
-- Is this similar to what we send for EPEL6,7,8 ?
--- If this is true, I'm in favor of it.  If not, then please explain more.
-- I have no idea about the work involved for this.

I think Step 5 is a very important step (if I'm understanding it
correctly).  Because it will give us a good idea about how many people
are utilizing playground.

I think Step 3, changing the inheritance is the only change in the
work involved for releng.  We would be changing the inheritance,
instead of deleting it.  I don't know how much extra work that will
be.

I have specifically avoided the -next / Stream discussion.  Not that I
don't think it's important, but because of resources.  Let's get
playground fixed up if possible.  We'll take what we learn, look at
how much resources it took, look at how much it is used, and then make
a decision.

Troy