Re: Continuing playground discussion

On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 4:52 PM Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 01. 08. 20 0:13, Troy Dawson wrote:
> > We were having a good discussion about epel8-playground in the
> > Steering Committee meeting this week.  Since we ran out of time I'd
> > like to continue it via email.
> >
> > Most everyone agreed that playground is currently a bit of a mess and
> > it's hard to explain to end users what it is for, or when to use it.
> > It was also agreed that we need to decide on a plan of "this is what
> > playground is for" and then work to setup/cleanup/document things.
> >
> > There seemed to be two main opinions of what to set the plan to.
> >
> > A) epel8-playground is meant for package development and testing for
> > major changes.  We stop doing the "build on both epel8 and
> > epel8-playground", and epel8-playground packages only get built from
> > the epel8-playground dist-git branch.
> >
> > B) epel8-playground is meant for future RHEL/CentOS testing, and thus
> > everything built in epel8-playground get's built off CentOS Stream.
> > We would continue the "build on both epel8 and epel8-playground" and
> > this would make sure packages would be able to build on the newer
> > RHEL.
> >
> > Both of these plans would require epel8-playground cleanup, and
> > re-implementation.  Both would require work.  But the work would be
> > quite different with the different plans.  So until we decide which
> > way to go, we don't know what to do.
> >
> > Thoughts on which plan to choose?  Or if there is something different?
>
> Whatever you do, please get rid of the package.cfg file. It is very confusing
> and very annoying.
>
> See for example
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/P2Z7WDHN567XD5PCLDJ2U63WA2ECUWD2/

C) Drop playground.  Say it was an interesting experiment and we
learned stuff, but shut it down.
(and clean up the package.cfg files as part of shutting it down)

D)
1 - Manual builds only.  No package.cfg files.  No automatic builds.
2 - Assume playground depends on epel8.
3 - Use CentOS 8 Stream to build against.

I am leaning towards option D.
We've already got all the playground infrastructure setup.  I don't
want to waste that.  So, although I said option C in the meeting, that
doesn't mean I want it, I was just stating it was an option.

I'd like to get this decided by the end of August so we can start
working on whichever steps we need to take.
And, above all, there is one step we didn't say, but it applied to all
Step 0 - Document it.
Whatever we do, we need to start by documenting it, agreeing on that,
and then do the work to make it that way.

Troy