Re: Continuing playground discussion

Am 29.08.20 um 00:11 schrieb Troy Dawson:
On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 2:10 PM Troy Dawson <tdawson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sat, Aug 22, 2020 at 11:12 AM kevin <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sat, Aug 22, 2020 at 02:50:39PM -0300, Pablo Sebastián Greco wrote:

On 21/8/20 19:06, Troy Dawson wrote:

C) Drop playground.  Say it was an interesting experiment and we
learned stuff, but shut it down.
(and clean up the package.cfg files as part of shutting it down)

D)
1 - Manual builds only.  No package.cfg files.  No automatic builds.
2 - Assume playground depends on epel8.
3 - Use CentOS 8 Stream to build against.

I am leaning towards option D.
We've already got all the playground infrastructure setup.  I don't
want to waste that.  So, although I said option C in the meeting, that
doesn't mean I want it, I was just stating it was an option.
I like option D too, looks like a more polished version of option B

Do we have any data here?

Are stream changes breaking epel packages so that they need rebuilds
often?

It will mean that if someone wants to use playground to test some large
change in epel, they will have to find people who also enable stream to
test it most likely?

Do we know that many/any people are consuming stream all the time?

We also don't have much way to say 'if you enable epel8-playground you
have to enable stream repos also'.

I guess I don't think the yummy to trouble ratio is good enough here to
justify the trouble of enabling stream. Can you expand on why this is
good/what it gets us?

Pros for building against stream:
- We would have a way to test EPEL packages that matter against the
not yet released RHEL version.
-- How often would this matter?
-- It's hard to say.  There might not be a single EPEL package needing
this for the entire RHEL 8.3 release.
-- I know for the 8.2 release, I would have liked it so I would have
had a place to let others test my updated KDE.
--- But I found a work around, so I didn't have to have it.

Cons for building against stream:
- I think you've hit on a big thing.  For those wanting a major
change, but don't care about stream, then playground becomes useless.
-- So this cuts down on the usefulness of playground.  Packagers who
want a major change in their package, and are working on stream.
- HERE IS THE BIGGEST CON AGAINST USING STREAM
-- CentOS Stream is only going to be based on RHEL8 until RHEL9 comes
out.  At some point after that, it switches to being based off RHEL9.
--- This means that infrastructure is going to have to switch
everything back to being built off RHEL.
--- We will have to re-document things.
--- More confusion if we had go the CentOS Stream route.

Troy

At the EPEL Steering Committee Meeting, this was discussed again.
I believe we all agree that having -playground build off Stream isn't
a good thing.
But we are also concerned about possible library changes in RHEL8 that
might affect EPEL8 packages, and having something based off Stream
would be good.
Here is the proposal.
Note: A) was re-written with better wording than above.

A) epel8-playground
1 - Manual builds only.  No package.cfg files.  No automatic builds.
2 - Assume playground depends on epel8.
3 - Built off RHEL8 and CentOS Devel, just like epel8 is built.

E) epel8-next
1 - Manual builds only.  No package.cfg files.  No automatic builds.
2 - Assume -next depends on epel.
3 - Built off CentOS Stream.
4 - Has a limited lifetime that corresponds with the CentOS Stream /
RHEL lifetime.
-- In other words, after CentOS Stream switches from RHEL8 to RHEL9,
then epel8-next get's archived.

If people are wondering about the name, it was decided to use -next
instead of -stream, due to the overuse of 'stream' among other
reasons.

Just a thought - this assumes that when RHEL9 gets out of the door. The above mentioned scenario (possible library changes) will not happen? Implies after May 31, 2024 (EL8 Maintenance Support Phase starts) ...

--
Leon