Re: gcc-gnat

On Tue, 14 Jul 2020 at 07:56, Björn Persson <Bjorn@rombobjörn.se> wrote:

> Erick Wittman wrote:
> > I am using CentOS 8 and am using various packages in the EPEL
> > repository. I am interested in seeing gcc-gnat added to EPEL.
>
> I would also like to have gcc-gnat in CentOS 8. I maintain some Ada
> packages in Fedora and EPEL 7 that I wish I could add to EPEL 8.
>
> In Fedora and earlier versions of RHEL/CentOS, gcc-gnat is a subpackage
> of gcc. Adding it to EPEL would make it a separate package. I'm not
> sure what complications might arise from that.

Subpackages of gcc usually require the entire gcc tree to be rebuilt
which leads to some problems. First is the spec file able to build
various sub-packages. Some .src.rpms spec files have things removed
which are in Fedora to make it clearer what is 'supported' by Red Hat.
This clears up 'junk' which might not be wanted to ship but also can
clear flags which are needed in say gcc to make gcc-gnat but would
cause 'problems' in gcc-foobar.

Second, the way the Fedora Build System (koji+pdc+mbs+....) works is
that the compose tree can only have 1 named src.rpm to be used to
'pull packages' from. This means that you can't rebuild gcc with the
same <version>-<release> as is in the 'buildroot'. It must be greater
and it will then replace that pacakge in future build roots. This
means that the gcc.src.rpm with gnat turned on which is used for this
would need to build all packages and then be used to build all future
EPEL packages. The 'fix' would be either to make a parallel
installable gcc with a different name which did not collide with gcc
on install. Three example ways to do this would be:
1. Make a non-default module which contained all the rebuilt binaries
needed to make gcc-gnat and other tools work (some languages also need
other utilities rebuilt to work).
2. Make an SCL which contains all these.
3. Make a set of rpms which installed gcc<name> in all the same places
as gcc but didn't collide

A fourth way for the private rpm would be to sort of go SCL with a
package that created an approved /opt space with bin,lib etc in it say
/opt/bjornspace/{bin,lib,etc} and had paths set up to that.

> So far I haven't had time to even try. I suspect I won't be able to do
> it alone, but it might be doable if we could assemble a team of
> interested maintainers.
>
> Björn Persson

Stephen J Smoogen.