Re: Python macro backports for EPEL reviews needed

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 9:27 AM Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 14. 04. 20 17:40, Troy Dawson wrote:

> >> Thanks.

> >> Makes perfect sense.

> >> Not yet. But If we want packagers to start using %pycached, I know there are
> >> some of them who would blindly merge their master branch to epel7 and they
> >> expect it will work. I suggest that we backport %pycached only, the name is
> >> unlikely to clash with anything. %python can be separated and not backported.
> >> Sounds good?
> >>

> > Yep, sounds good to me.
>
> Amended https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/epel-rpm-macros/pull-request/14

> >> I agree.

> >> So the main idea was that based on some FPC and RPMdevs discussions about
> >> underscor-prefixed macros, packagers should not be using those directly, however
> >> our guidelines were full of referecens to %{__python3}. We have come up with a
> >> conclusion:
> >>
> >> Macros with underscores, such as %__python3 are intended to be reset to change
> >> bahvior of other macros (e.g. when you set %__python to /usr/bin/pythhon3.4 on
> >> EPEL 7, %{python3_version{ will be 3.4), macros without underscores are to be
> >> used in specs (e.g. you do `%{python3} -m pytest` rather than `%{__python3} -m
> >> pytest`.
> >>
> >> Details:
> >> https://pagure.io/packaging-committee/issue/907
> >> https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/python-rpm-macros/pull-request/27#comment-30941
> >>
> >> The only problem was the %{python} macro. When you redefine %__python to a sane
> >> (explicit) value, you want %{python} to work, because e.g. %{python_version}
> >> works. But we didn't want to encourage usage of "unversioned python" by adding
> >> %{python}.
> >>
> >> So Fedora now has a %{python} macro: If %__python is /usr/bin/python (backwards
> >> compatible default), %{python} gives you an error. If %__python is anything
> >> else, %{python} gives that to you.
> >>

> > Ahh ... now that you explain it, I was reading it totally backwards.
> > I'd still like to test it on a variety of packages, but unless others
> > have some type of objection, as long as it passes the tests, I'm good
> > with it.
>
> What kind of packages would need the test? This is mostly backwards compatible.
> The only packages that could be problematic are packages that use a constructs
> like this:
>
> %{!?python:...} or %if %{defined python}
>
> -> previously %python was not defined, now it is and hence the conditional will
> have a different result
>
> Or like this:
>
> %global pyver_sitelib %python%{pyver}_sitelib
>
> -> previously %python was not defined, now it is and hence the code produces
> invalid result
>
> I suppose such cases could be figured out with a grep. Is there something like
> https://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/repo/rpm-specs-latest.tar.xz but for epel branches?

Yep, I'm having a hard time finding anything relevant to test.
I have verified it doesn't conflict with any other rpm macro, but I'm
pretty sure you had already checked that.
So, I'm giving it a thumbs up.
And I'll give it a thumbs up on the pull requests as well.
Troy