Re: The use of the playground

On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 5:22 AM Mattias Ellert
<mattias.ellert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I recently had a discussion about the use of the playground on
> pagure.io: https://pagure.io/releng/issue/8582
>
> I was asked to bring the discussion here to epel-devel.
>
> I quote my last comment from the thread below. If you want more details
> you can read the entire thread at the pagure link above.
>

> You plan is to use the epel-playground repo for two very different and
> incompatible tasks.
>
> The first usecase is as a playground where maintainers can try out new
> versions and new features. This means that the versions of packages in
> the epel-playground are allowed to be different from the versions in
> epel, might have additional features enabled that the versions in epel
> are missing, and occasionally could even be backward incompatible with
> the version i epel or have a different soname for libraries.
>
> The second usecase is as a place to do mass rebuilds for new rhel point
> releases, where you plan to change the rhel base to a new point release
> in epel-playgroind, do the rebuilds in epel-playground, and the when
> you change th epel repo to the new point release merge the mass rebuilt
> packages back to epel. But, since the use case for the playground
> repository was to be a place where new unstable stuff is tested, all
> those rebuilds will have been built against these new versions and
> might depend on features that are not provided by the dependencies that
> are in epel, or be compiled to depend on a different soname than the
> library that is available in epel.
>
> I.e. since the playground is a playground, packages built in the
> playground must never be merged into main epel.
>
> In Fedora there are rebuilds all the time. For new python versions, for
> new perl versions, and the recurring mass rebuilds. These are done in
> side tags. This can be done without adding a package.cfg file allowing
> the build of the package in the side tag, but koji allows this by
> default.
>
> The proper way to do a mass rebukd for epel8 is to declare an epel8-
> rebuild sidetag that inherits from the rhel 8.n+1 and epel8 and
> definitely must not inherit from epel8-playground. The packages built
> in this sidetag can then be safely merged into epel8, when epel8 is
> redefined to inherit from rhel 8.n+1. And since it is a sidetag there
> should be no need to add any special package.cfg since this is not
> needed for sidetags in fedora.
>
>         Mattias

I was not aware that we were using playground for the second usecase.
I thought the discussions we had in our weekly EPEL Steering meeting
we agreed *not* to use playground for rebuilding, but had agreed to
use side-tags.  If I was wrong, could someone please point me to the
document that says we do.

Honestly, the package.cfg reasoning is rather vague to me.  I'm not
sure where it came from.  I don't remember being asked about it.
Personally, if I had been asked I would have said that at the least,
it needs to be .package.cfg.  This is done in several places in the
Red Hat Brew dist-git, and it stops alot of these types of
discussions.

But I also didn't fight against it.  Why?  Because I knew the first
thing I was going to do was delete it.  And ... that's what I've done.

Unfortunately, the way I've deleted it (git merge f30) seems to create
a freighter boatload of emails to various people (who are not me).
But the end result is that for a majority of my epel8 dist-git repo's
are in sync with f30.  Are they "perfectly" in sync?  Well, I guess
according to what you define it, no, but I am able to do a "git merge
<branch>" and it merges without any issues.  That's what I care about,
and I bet in the end, that's what you care about as well.

Troy