Re: rethinking the epel testing

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 11:48:14AM -0500, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> 1) Getting an account is seen by many people as the same as taking an
> oath of allegiance. They get angry when they only joined a group to
> report some problem and then see that their joining is used in some
> other promo that the groups user base has grown by N amount because
> there are more registered users.  They are 'CentOS' users not Fedora
> users.

I have two things to say to this. First, this is a misperception. EPEL
is part of Fedora; EPEL users are Fedora users.

Second, I don't think that this is generally a problem with CentOS
users, who tend to be pragmatic rather than loyalists.

> 2) This belief that signing up is an oath of allegiance goes both
> ways. Some Fedora packagers and users expect that any problem reported
> for a package should be only 'fixed' if it shows up in the latest
> Fedora release. They see that a person has a Fedora account and they
> say "Why aren't you using Fedora instead of that claptrap OS."

Do you have an example of that, or is it just a worry that it *might*
happen? I know of many cases where Fedora packagers don't want to take
on the commitment of maintaining an EPEL package, but for those who
have, if this is their response, they should probably rethink that.

> 3) Finally Fedora and CentOS are worlds apart in what they want. EL-6
> is the largest usebase and is still growing. That means people are
> wanting things that will work on Fedora 12. Many have no idea or want
> to deal with containers, modules, and are just trying to get their
> head around systemd which they will probably be rolling out in the
> next 4 years (though some are hoping it will get replaced by Linus
> with a git like better tool). Fedora people are starting to show signs
> of being tired of containers and are trying to figure out the next big
> thing to work on.

Sure, at least to some degree. But I don't think that's hugely relevant
to this particular thing.

> Now while it would be nice to get them to talk together more.. most of
> the time the only useful conversations seem to happen over beer and
> dinner.. while email lists turn into tribal fights of slights and
> sarcasm.

That's probably more a matter of having gotten the right people to the
beer and dinner situation and not having done so in email.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>