Re: rethinking the epel testing

On 17 January 2017 at 12:07, Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 04:11:31PM +0100, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos wrote:
>> 1. The majority of people who use EPEL are not Fedora users. They are
>> more likely to report a bug they encounter, in CentOS forums (or RHEL)
>> rather than understand fedora process and the need for karma.
>
> Can we help steer those people into understanding Bodhi? It's not like
> a deep knowledge of all things Fedora is required.
>

>> I do not have any good suggestion, other than reducing the long period
>> of testing to the Fedora defaults (7 days). A better approach would be
>> to tie more to centos processes, and allow centos registered users to
>> give karma and test, but I have no idea how feasible it is, and whether
>> centos users will actually get involved in EPEL.
>
> I think we should be able to do federated authentication with CentOS
> and accept CentOS accounts as valid for meaningful karma. But I'd
> really rather encourage just getting Fedora accounts and helping draw
> people who are in the Fedora community though EPEL into more close
> connections.

There are several problems with this:

1) Getting an account is seen by many people as the same as taking an
oath of allegiance. They get angry when they only joined a group to
report some problem and then see that their joining is used in some
other promo that the groups user base has grown by N amount because
there are more registered users.  They are 'CentOS' users not Fedora
users.

2) This belief that signing up is an oath of allegiance goes both
ways. Some Fedora packagers and users expect that any problem reported
for a package should be only 'fixed' if it shows up in the latest
Fedora release. They see that a person has a Fedora account and they
say "Why aren't you using Fedora instead of that claptrap OS."

3) Finally Fedora and CentOS are worlds apart in what they want. EL-6
is the largest usebase and is still growing. That means people are
wanting things that will work on Fedora 12. Many have no idea or want
to deal with containers, modules, and are just trying to get their
head around systemd which they will probably be rolling out in the
next 4 years (though some are hoping it will get replaced by Linus
with a git like better tool). Fedora people are starting to show signs
of being tired of containers and are trying to figure out the next big
thing to work on.

Now while it would be nice to get them to talk together more.. most of
the time the only useful conversations seem to happen over beer and
dinner.. while email lists turn into tribal fights of slights and
sarcasm.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.