Re: Port Mozilla NSS/JSS to smart phone platform

Currently, the smartphone platform is lack of unified
software/hardware security module.
For example, iPhone stores certificates in the Keychain, BlackBerry
stores certificates
in BlackBerry device key store, Android has no such secure storage.

This project is intended to provide a unified
interface/framework/middleware to access/manage
secure elements for storing certificates and private key and making
various PKI operations,
such as signing and encryption.

The secure applications can be built on top of the framework, for
example, Mobile Wallet
applications, such as credit card app, debit card app, identity card
app(SSN app in US),
driver license app, medical card app, even use your phone to vote in
election, ...

These applications can transparently make various PKI operations
regardless of underlying
hardware components, a file system, a SIM card, a NFC chip, a secure
µSD card, ...

The FireFox is the most widely ported application, it runs on Windows,
Mac, Linux, Unix, ...
Most importantly, people uses it to do online-banking, online-shopping
in daily life.
The NSS/JSS, one component of FireFox, supports cross-platform
development of security-enabled
applications. It supports PKCS #5, PKCS #7, PKCS #11, PKCS #12,
S/MIME, TLS, SSL v2 and v3,
X.509 v3 certificates, and other security standards.
Furthermore, NSS itself is comply with FIPS 140-2, it is crucial
cretia to meet requirements
of governments and financial institutions.

The proven tracking records of NSS/JSS have made it a perfect choice
for managing security
on smartphone platforms.

The popular smartphone platforms are listed as follows :

Platform                               Develop Language
Android phone/tablet           Java/C
iPhone/iPad/iPod                 C
Symbian/Maemo/MeeGo     C
Blackberry                            Java
Windows Mobile                   C
Palm Pre/webOS                 C

Currently, the targeted plaforms of porting NSS/JSS are Android and iPhone.
It is understood that not every platform vendor provides suitable
development kit to build NSS/JSS.
It is desirable to have platform vender support.

Other related open-source projects are listed as follows for reference:
1) Android™ Keystore V2
http://android-keystore-v2.webpki.org/
http://webpki.org/auth-token-4-the-cloud.html

2) Secure Element Evaluation Kit for the Android platform
http://code.google.com/p/seek-for-android/

3) CoolKey
http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/CoolKey

4) OpenSC