Re: Possible deprecation/removal of Initial Setup from Fedora

On Thu, Nov 23, 2023 at 12:51 PM Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
<zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 22, 2023 at 01:53:14PM +0100, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
> > >
> > > The Fedora Asahi Remix uses initial-setup (in text mode) for our Server and
> > > Minimal variants.
> >
> > I think this is used by *all* server images.  It offers to set the root
> > password and add users, so without that you simply can't login ...
>
> systemd-firstboot can set the root user password, but it cannot create
> other users. But maybe we should extend it allow that. We recently had
> a discussion about adding support for creating "normal" users from
> systemd-sysusers, and the conclusion was that we can add a basic mode
> where /etc/skel is copied and the user is written to file databases.
> If people think this would be useful, I could that this idea upstream.

There's other pieces that initial-setup takes care of as well, it
gives the option when creating a user to add them as an "admin" AKA
added to the wheel group and I also believe if only a root password is
set and no user created it may (it's been a while since I've tested)
add the ability for root to ssh in to the host as without a user you
can't access the machine remotely.

Peter