[Anaconda-devel] Re: partitioning, Everything ISO

> Am 24.01.2022 um 18:42 schrieb Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
> cc: anaconda-devel@
>
> From today's Fedora QA minutes
> https://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2022-01-24/fedora-qa.2022-01-24-16.00.log.html
>
> 16:20:54 <pboy> I'll test that again, but I'm sure, if you use
> everything DVD you get the wrong preconfiguration. We had a thread
> about that on server list.
>
> I'm not finding this thread. But Adamw surely knows the history of
> Everything ISO better than I do. My fuzzy memory is that it's sort of
> a side effect of how images are made and it's kept around as a catch
> all. It's the only way to do a netinstall for any of the desktops. The
> default package set is for a minimal install, a.k.a. Fedora Custom.
> The idea is to make it straightforward to get a minimum bootable
> system and then use dnf to build it up from there.
>
> Just for context, "Everything ISO" e.g.
> https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/compose/rawhide/Fedora-Rawhide-20220124.n.0/compose/Everything/x86_64/iso/Fedora-Everything-netinst-x86_64-Rawhide-20220124.n.0.iso
>
> This image defines "automatic" partitioning as btrfs. It's intrinsic
> to the image itself what the partitioning defaults to. It's not a
> function of the package set, i.e. choosing the Server package set
> doesn't get you Server's default partitioning. It's a little
> confusing, but it's working as designed, insofar as it has one.
>
> I cc'd Anaconda folks, because I'm not sure exactly where the
> "autopart" kickstart command gets defined these days. And also whether
> it's worth the effort to make autopart variable based on what edition
> or spin is selected in the Everything netinstaller? I'm not sure that
> it is.

Chris,

if I remember correctly, wasn’t it you who informed me (about a year ago in the context of F32/33) that booting from everything DVD and select „Fedora Server“ does not result in an identical installation as booting from Server DVD and selecting „Fedora Server“? (when I wondered about the installation on a rented remote hardware where only „Everything“ was available).

Anyway, no case to worry at the current status, I think. I will test this more closely. At the moment I am still completing and refining my dedicated server test environment.

Besides the question about the boot medium and group selection, the January 18 build has still the issue with /etc/resolv.conf being a file instead of a link (and thus breaking split DNS). The bug is marked as resolved (in December/January according to Adam), maybe the build was made just before that became effective. We have to keep this in mind.

Best
Peter